As one of the top providers of exceptional SIP phones and Internet Telephony solutions in the UK, Yealink is one of the top contenders for modern businesses when it comes to choosing a communication solution that’s clear, reliable, and affordable.
Known not just for their great products, but also their top-of-the-range customer service, Yealink continues to be one of my favourite telephony manufacturers, so I was pretty excited to get the opportunity to play with their new product first-hand. At CommsTrader, we’re currently filming a product video for Yealink on the CP960 conference phone, so I had the perfect opportunity to dive beneath the surface and discover what this piece of tech is really capable of.
A quick disclaimer before we get started, this review is my own opinion and nothing else. I’m not selling Yealink products personally, and encourage you to leave your own opinions in the comments below.
Introducing the Yealink CP960: Key Features
The CP960 is Yealink’s latest conference phone, powered by Android 5.1 operating system technology. The first thing I noticed when I got my hands on the device is just how well it’s been put together. The aesthetic is slim, and appealing, while the whole overall design seems to be catered specifically towards modern users. If you’re looking for something that makes conferencing a little more streamlined and attractive, then you’re on the right track with the CP960.
Designed for mid-sized to large meeting rooms, the CP960 offers a range of unique solutions to make communications simpler, from built-in Wi-Fi connections to wired pairing options if you want to introduce your smartphone or laptop into the mix. Basically, you’re getting a combination of technology and simplicity in one neat package.
Yealink CP960 Conference Phone Features:
- Noise cancelling technology, for fewer disruptions in the meeting room
- 20-foot voice capturing range and a 360-degree level of pickup for clearer sound and group communication
- 5-way conferencing features
- A Five-inch multi-touch screen for management
- HD audio – which has become pretty much standard for Yealink products
- 3 built-in microphones
- Wi-Fi and Bluetooth connectivity
- The Yealink Pentagon meeting room software
- USB ports and Micro B ports
- Android 5.1 operation system
- Expansion microphones as an extra option.
From Security to Amazing Audio
I gave you the basics of what you can expect from the Yealink CP960 above, but let’s dive a little deeper. One of the key features of Yealink products these days are their incredible HD quality audio. If you haven’t tried out one of the latest conference phones, I recommend giving them a go just to see how crystal clear your meetings can sound. You can even add a loudspeaker to the CP960 if you need a little more volume.
Here’s a little more detail on what you’ll get straight out of the box:
- The Audio: As mentioned above, the Yealink CP960 offers HD audio with a 20-feet microphone pickup range, enough for mid-sized meeting room spaces. There’s a 360-degree level of voice pickup available, and a 10w speaker, for exceptional support for your entire team. You’ll also benefit from echo cancellation technology, which makes sure that the people on the other end of the phone get a clearer, fuller experience.
- The Phone: As with most conference phones on the market today, the Yealink CP960 is far more than just a phone. You’ll get a single VoIP account with your purchase, which includes features like “Do not Disturb”, mute, call holding, call recording, and the ability to upgrade to a five-way conference call instantly. You can organise re-dialling, adjust your volume as necessary, and even change your ring tone if you don’t like the one the device comes with. Of course, there are connections for an external loudspeaker, and a USB and Micro-B port for your pairing needs.
- Call Management: In terms of call management, you’ll get a phonebook that can hold up to 1000 entries at once, and an “intelligent search” option that makes it easier for you to browse through all those contacts. There’s also call history information for your documentation needs, and a black list feature In terms of IP PBX, there’s voice mail, call pickups, multicast paging, and the ability to make anonymous calls.
Since security has emerged as a significant aspect of most workplace devices these days, it’s not much of a surprise that Yealink has invested in upgrading peace of mind with the CP960. When it comes to security, the system has just about everything you can think of to improve the safety of your conversations, from TLS to SRTP and end-to-end encryption. In other words, there’s no reason you shouldn’t feel totally safe.
The Parts that Blew Me Away
Ultimately, my favourite parts of the system largely came down to how easy it was to use. Yealink is incredibly at proving that next-generation technology doesn’t have to be complex and difficult to handle. Here’s what I liked the most:
- Great audio: When it comes to conference calling, you’re always going to need exceptional audio if you want the best experience. The 360-degree audio pick up and the 20-foot range is impressive, but I really liked the noise-cancelling aspects of the CP960 the most. Basically, the device can cut out anything that doesn’t sound like a voice, from the typing you do on your laptop, to the sound of your air conditioning.
- It feels great to use: If a piece of tech is difficult and unwieldy, then it’s not going to get a lot of use – no matter how effective it might be. The CP960 feels as sleek and sophisticated as it looks, with its impressive metallic silver finish. Plus, the five-inch high-res multi-touch screen makes managing your calls quick and easy.
- The meeting room interface: The “Pentagram” meeting room solution from Yealink is one of the most impressive parts of its Designed to make conferencing simple for up to five people at a time, the system means that you can create a conference with the push of a button. Plus, you can invite new members to the group without having to fiddle around with pausing your current conversation.
- Flexibility: Finally, the ability to create your own UC meetings is great with the CP960. Whether you’re using a softphone on your PC, or your smart phone with Skype for Business, you can route your call directly through the CP960 using a Bluetooth connection or USB port.
Ultimately, if you’re looking for a great piece of tech that makes conferencing easier for your entire business, then it’s hard to go wrong with the new Yealink CP960. While it’s safe to say that your preferred technology will always depend on the individual needs of your business, this unique piece of tech is great for introducing simple and effective collaboration to the workspace.
If, like me, you got a chance to check out the CP960 lately and you want to share your thoughts, post a comment below to join the conversation.
The Final Cut…
Rob is Founder & Publisher of UC Today, a leading news publication specialising in Unified Communications & Collaboration technologies.